Monday, November 15, 2010

Mr. Sneaky

 Last night I put Lukas to bed only to realize he wasn't tired enough to go to bed.  He didn't want to go to sleep and he let me know it by opening the door and coming out.  He has never done this...ever.  Once he is in his bed he doesn't get out of it ever.  Not even in the morning when he is ready to get up.  He sits there either calling for me or talking to himself until I come get him. 

Sooner or later I knew it was going to happen.  I knew someday he would pop out of bed and open his door.  We did let him stay up another 15 minutes as long as he was relaxing.  I wanted him to get sleepy.  Yesterday he slept in and took a 2 hour nap.  I was surprised he slept that much, but now I see that I should have woke him up after a hour or so.  Maybe he would have been tired for bedtime. 

Then this morning waking him up was a chore.  He was tired and grumpy.  He kept crying at the simplest, and tiniest things.  He didn't want his chocolate milk, or his toast.  He didn't want to put on his coat, or shoes.  He kept crying and crying.  I had to ignore it and keep getting things ready.  If I ignore him he comes through that grumpiness faster...it seems. 

Hopefully he doesn't make it a habit to get up and come back out after I put him to bed.  I am praying anyway that he doesn't!

No comments: