Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Still ear infection?

Last week I had to call and ask for the remainder of Lukas's prescription for his antibiotic. They filled it no problem. When I talked to them last week they also said to call and give them an update on Lukas after he was done with the antibiotic. Well I called them and told them how Lukas was doing. I said the cold was gone and he was doing much better. He is still poking his ear and playing with his ear from time to time, but he is sleeping, eating, and his mood are good. They said they would talk to the doctor and see if she wanted to see him. Well after about an hour they called me back and said that she prescribed him a new antibiotic. I just listened and said ok. Well as the day went on I was not comfortable just picking up this antibiotic and treating Lukas if he didn't need it. I mean I know he is still poking at his ear, but it could be teething too. He has played with his ears since he was about 5-6 months old. I decided to call the doctor back and see if they could see him today instead. I would like to know for sure that he needs that antibiotic instead of just treat him without knowing. I have been reading on the web that doctors over prescribe antibiotics, and I think it would be best just to make sure he really needs it. If we go there today and they take a look and tell me he should continue the antibiotic...I will. If they see he is ok...then he doesn't need it. :)

No comments: