Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fifths Disease

Last week Lukas was not feeling the best. He was actually pretty cranky. Friday I took him to the doctor and she said he had an ear infection and that the cold symptoms he had were just a cold and would go away. So he started a new antibiotic on Friday. Well Saturday my husband noticed a small rash on Lukas's cheeks and neck. He said it wasn't bad though. I also noticed the same thing Sunday. Well then Monday I got a call from his daycare lady and she said he had a little swelling in the cheeks, and the rash was worse. She thought he might be having a reaction to the antibiotics. I called the hospital and they said to bring him in. When we saw the doctor yesterday he said Lukas's rash wasn't a "drug rash" and asked if Lukas had a fever last week. I told him that he did have a low grade fever 99 degrees. He said Lukas had Fifths Disease. It is a viral infection that usually starts like a cold and a low grade fever, and then once those symptoms are gone a rash on face, neck, and/or legs and arms. It is not dangerous and most people have already been exposed to this virus at one time in their life. The doctor said Lukas most likely did have an ear infection along with the cold symptoms and the antibiotics were working. His ears were looking really good. I guess the rash will go away on it's on within the next week. Here is some fore info on it. Fifths Disease

No comments: