Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Frustration with Toddler Hitting
Last night I took Lukas to our local library. He came with me to look up and then go look for my book. After we found the book I wanted I sat down in the area of the library specifically for children. Lukas played with the toys and had fun with puzzles while I started reading my first chapter.
Well after awhile he was looking out the window and saw the park they had outside. He was asking me if we could go to the park and go on slides. I was just getting done with my chapter so I told him that we could. He came with me to the check out, and he started getting a little stir crazy and hyper. He was excited that we were going to the park.
When we got outside to the park he was having fun, but I noticed the park had a very smelly fish smell in the air. (The park had been flooded over the weekend from our big rain last week.) I thought to myself I would let Lukas play for a little bit and then we would leave. Well as it got darker out the mosquitoes came out. So I knew it was time to leave the park. I told him 2 times we were going to leave, but he would run away and climb up onto the equipment so I couldn't reach him. (I had my purse, his 3 blankies, his cup, and 2 books in my hands.) Well the 3rd and final warning I told him it was time to go and I grabbed his arm. He let out a scream that was so high pitched it even shocked me at first.
While all of this is going on I am trying to juggle all the stuff in my arms and trying to get him to listen to me. (Perhaps I should have stopped at the car and dropped everything off so I didn't have so much in my hands.) Well anyway I finally scooped him up along with all the other stuff in my arms. Lukas grabbed his cup and knocked me one right in the mouth with it. This is the most mad I have ever been with him...ever! It hurt so bad I wanted to cry, but I kept my cool. I grabbed his hands and looked him in the eye and told him when he hits Mommy he gives me owies. He just screamed "No Mamma!" and kept trying to hit me. As we walked back to the car I tucked his hands into my arms and held him tight so he wouldn't hit me anymore. I counted to 10 while walking to the car trying to calm myself down.
Once we got to the car and I got him in his car seat he was crying pretty hard. I pulled away and started driving. While driving to my Mom's I burst into tears. He had hit me in the lip pretty hard and it was looking like I was going to have a fat lip. While I was driving and crying I noticed Lukas had stopped crying. I looked at him in the mirror and he was silent and staring at me. He started saying "sorry Mommy, sorry." I told him thank you Lukas for saying sorry. He said "ok Mommy, ok?" I told him I was ok. When we got to my Mom's house I was still pretty worked up and feeling emotionally defeated. I got Lukas out of his car seat and he gave me a big hug and a kiss! He said sorry again and then gave me another hug. I was feeling a little better, but my lip was still throbbing. I put some ice on it and it's doing good now. It was a little soar, but you couldn't tell that I got socked in the lip thank goodness!
Toddler hitting is frustrating! I think I handled it well, except the breaking down and crying part. The beginning of summer he started hitting, and then it seems to go away on and off. Well this particular night showed me it's not gone, and I need to try to nip this in the bud! Man I love that little boy, but boy does he frustrate me when he feels mad and wants to hit and hurt!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment