Living in the Midwest means lots of thunderstorms and possible tornados. They all don't make tornados just the possibility to have one during a storm. Well my husband was gone on business last week and Lukas and I had to wait out a storm that produced some tornados. Here is the little story:
The weather was making me a little nervous, but I thought as it always does that it will just pass quickly. I got Lukas in the bath and I got him all washed up. I sat there and let Lukas play in the tub for a little bit, but then the tornado warning sirens went off. So I grabbed him wrapped him in a towel and grabbed his pajamas and we went downstairs. I got him all dressed and we played downstairs while the sirens went off. After the sirens stopped we went back upstairs. I looked out the window to our front yard and the sky was an awkward dark orange, so I went to the other end of the house to look out our backyard and it was dark. It was the darkest I have seen the sky in a long time. I thought 'oh great.' I decided to call my Mom and we sat and talked about the weather a little bit. Our local weather was playing some live footage of the storm and what looked to be a funnel cloud. We both just sat there watching the TV. During this Lukas just played with his lawn mower and mowed our carpet. He was happy through it all. Well just then the sirens went off again. My Mom was saying on the phone that a tornado had touched down just a few miles from our house. I told her OK we were going to head back downstairs. Just as all this was happening we lost our power and it started raining really hard. So Lukas and I were back in the basement. He looked at me smiled and said "daddy", I laughed a little and said "nope not daddy buddy." I lit some candles so we could see in the basement. Once the sirens stopped we decided to go over to my Mom's place since we were all by ourselves and had no power. Well she didn't have power either. Just as I got there another siren went off and it started to rain again. That was the last siren for the night thank goodness. We were stuck without power until morning. During this whole ordeal Lukas was our comedy relief. His sense of humor was coming out and making us smile while we were all scared. My husband finally got a hold of me on my cell phone to check on us. He was relieved to hear we were all right too. That was Lukas's first tornado. I think he enjoyed playing downstairs in the dark. What a silly little boy!
No comments:
Post a Comment